What got you into OS development?

What got you into OS development?

Postby algorithman » 23. Mar 2017, 13:17

I'm curious - what has gotten you interested in OS development?

For me it was when I was programming a compiler - I learned some assembler for that and when I learned about system calls, I wondered how they worked internally.
Looking for answers to that, I found osdev.org and lowlevel.eu and the Hello-World Operating Systems there made me curious. I wanted to try making my own Hello World OS - then I wanted to read the keyboard - and once that worked, I couldn't stop anymore ;)
algorithman
Administrator

by Advertising » 23. Mar 2017, 13:17

Advertising

Re: What got you into OS development?

Postby Mixony » 23. Mar 2017, 21:29

Curiosity of how all in the OS works.
I started reading something on stackoverflow I think.
It said it's hard, dont go in there, but as I'm very stubborn I started reading about it and watching some tutorials.
Then I have seen your tutorials and realized how good your tutorials are.
You should do some tutorials on c++ or something because you are so good at teaching.
Some previous tutorials that I watched are from guys IKnow and CodePixl but they have not gone that deep like you did. :D
Mixony

Postby Marty Geist » 6. Apr 2017, 20:44

Hi All;

Algorithman, I have been into Assemblers, Compilers and Operating Systems since the 1980's when I got my Digital Group 8080 Machine, and then when I met a friend who Wrote His own Operating System and Assembler for His 8085 Machine..

I am mostly a Hardware person, and have been Currently attempting to get my PDP 11/45 back into working condition, And so Software I barely Understand, in spite of the above said Interest..

But, with Your Great style, I can almost Understand what You are talking about, and sort of follow what You are Presenting..

THANK YOU Marty
Marty Geist

Postby Mr.MUOSTAFA MUHAMMAD » 29. Apr 2017, 17:21

well,I am (basically) interested in C++ and C programming languages.Also, I like to design (Play) with hardware,Embedded Systems Networking , Electronics in general and of course Telecommunications like old modems and telephones .
And now , as a big move to me to dig deep into the motherboards and the operating system and thanks for your helping hand to me ! :mrgreen:
BEST LUCK FOR ALL OF US !
Mr.MUOSTAFA MUHAMMAD

Postby Sn0kr45h » 31. May 2017, 00:49

I've tried studying this topic in the past, but it was all very daunting. Reading books like "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation" by Andrew Tanenbaum and "Developing Your Own 32-bit Operating System" by Richard Burgess. Those books were not really what I was shooting for as a hobbyist. I just wanted to make a simple single tasking operating system maybe in protected mode. Nothing special.

I've been writing software professionally for over 20 years and finally got the OS bug again. I was pleased when I found the wyoos videos and website over a 3-day weekend.

Thanks for all your content so far Viktor. I look forward to viewing it all and working along with the videos.
Sn0kr45h

Postby Undomyr » 31. May 2017, 13:12

Mostly the challenge of it, I'm by far not a greatly skilled programmer (yet, learning GNU Assembler and C++ alongside your video's) but I like to take on projects that I have no hope of finishing when I start them and learn what I need along the way.
And I am the kind of obsessive guy that once I want to have everything under my own control and that led me to this place.
Undomyr

Postby vtimofei » 6. Jul 2017, 14:02

While I was doing some projects for the Operating Systems course at my University I thought that I would like to work on Operating Systems. Then I got 10/10 grade on that course (my highest grade yet :P ) and got really excited. Now here I am learning more about Operating Systems.
vtimofei

Postby JAIR1906 » 5. Dec 2018, 09:44

Hi All,

I started my career in writing DOS TSR (terminate and stay resident) programs way back in 1996 for communicating with third party systems like different PABX models , Keycard systems, Voicemail systems as part of my job profile at my company which develops Hospitality ERP systems.I was using X86 assembler for this.

Further on,I moved into windows based RAD development and web development but the low level bug was still pre-dominant within me. I am looking at venturing to the next level into the OS arena which according to me would be the ultimate satisfaction for someone who has been twiddling with Hex inputs and outputs while testing my own third party Interface programs and performing disassembling activities.

Your videos look really good and I am first looking to a deep understanding of the whole system by going through them.Might require some guidance through this forum though.Thanks guys in advance ..

Jairam
JAIR1906

Return to General Discussion