The goal of the WYOOS project

The goal of the WYOOS project

Postby algorithman » 23. Mar 2017, 13:09

From several comments (youtube and here) I take it that some people seem to believe, the WYOOS project tried to become a full blown operating system that can compete with GNU/Linux, Windows and OS-X.

You might have noticed
  • WYOOS is 32 bit
  • it does very little in terms of error recovery (network timeouts, resetting the HDD if an error occurs,...)
  • some things (like the keyboard layout, HDD block size, instantiation of the network driver) are very hardware-specific and not designed to be easily replacable.
  • it has a terrible graphics driver, no font rendering, no USB driver, no virtual memory / paging, no shell, etc.
  • many things are quite slow, because they don't take advantage of hardware-features like the GPU or (U)DMA Harddrive access.
Also keep in mind, that the hardest part is the development of the drivers (and a suitable driver interface for them).
Even if the kernel became the best kernel ever - without millions of (sometimes proprietary) drivers, the OS remains next to useless.

For these reasons, WYOOS will probably never be able to compete with the major operating systems, but that is not its goal!
Infact, at the beginning there wasn't even a "goal" at all. I just had some spare time and wanted to show you how to make a Hello-World Operating System, because no such tutorial existed on YouTube at the time. And then I still had some spare time and decided to expand the tutorial to interrupts, so you would have input & output - and then the whole thing took up speed - I became able to record 3 videos per day. I got a bit obsessive - now I wanted to add everything I know about OS development - even learning some more stuff myself in the process (like multitasking and HDDs).

Nowadays, the main goal of the WYOOS project is to give you in-depth understanding of how computers and operating systems work.
The boot-process, hardware-communication, multitasking, system calls, network protocols, gui frameworks etc.
I think it is pretty good at that and maybe - just maybe - it gets you so interested in the topic and gives you enough background knowledge, that you become a Linux kernel developer. I would like it, if that happened 8-)
algorithman
Administrator

by Advertising » 23. Mar 2017, 13:09

Advertising

Return to General Discussion