Postby RitvikSapra » 24. May 2020, 12:32

I am an undergrad student and want to build OS. But I have literally zero knowledge about OS. Where do I start ?
RitvikSapra

by Advertising » 24. May 2020, 12:32

Advertising

Re: Newbie

Postby josuecom » 16. Jul 2020, 03:39

I am also a newbie here :)
josuecom

Re: Newbie

Postby TheGrue » 22. Jul 2020, 23:30

Welcome Newbies! I'm new to the forum, but have been working with open source OS projects for years now. I would like to start off by asking what your current level of computer programming knowledge is? Also, what would you like our OS to do?

These are not really good projects to start with if you don't have any programming skills. I'd suggest hitting some tutorials and/or books on the programming language you plan to design your OS in. Also, pick up some assembly language along the way, you'll need it.

Operating systems become a huge undertaking once you get beyond the basic "Hello World" bootloader examples.

An example of a good place to start, and is mentioned in the videos that go with this web site, is here:

https://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page

There are some very basic reads all the way up to very technical ones. This is, by far, the best resource on the web that I have found for OS writing information.

A good book on OS design is a way to go too. If you're interested, I can offer up some ideas.

There are a lot of good resources out there in the hobby OS realm that give you the opportunity to read other people's code, which I find is a great way to learn! A follow-on step could be to contribute to one of those hobby OS or even larger Open Source OS projects like Minix or Linux.

All this may sound like a lot but I have never heard of anyone going from zero to OS developer without putting in the effort. No matter what, we all have to start at the beginning. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Jim

https://github.com/the-grue
TheGrue

Return to General Discussion